ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Spooking and bolting

Re: Spooking and bolting

tina hicks (hickst@puzzler.nichols.com)
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 16:48:01 -0500

At 02:51 PM 7/15/97 -0400, SandyDSA@aol.com wrote:

>these bad actors regularly being allowed to plunge down the trail either like
>a pogo stick or a ping pong ball. I find that distinctly unpleasant and
>downright dangerous. So.... whether or not one feels that the horse is worth
>all of the nonsense or not becomes secondary at the point where that horse is
>allowed to go down public trails.

ummm....I don't think I mentioned plunging or that he was a bad actor nor
did I say that we endanger anyone else's life while on the trail ....I've
taken him on numerous conditioning rides on public trails as well as 50
milers and have yet caused anyone to go home a motherless child......He's
well schooled and knows his aids. He just happens to spook...some :-)

the horse that you described is *dangerous* and should not be out in public
- that is_entirely different_ than an animal that tends to spook at rabbits
in the bushes which is what we are talking about in essence - compared to
what you described. You can only accurately compare apples to apples - not
apples to oranges.

the original poster asked about spooking and bolting in the context of
endurance riding - not in the whole scheme of how it affects humanity in
general or your children in particular :-))

Tina
hickst@nichols.com