ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: farrier questions

Re: farrier questions

Reynolds, Nikki (jakar@aiinc.com)
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:43:57 -0700

AFA@co.clark.nv.us wrote:

> I have two questions re: farriers. First, my farrier requires me to be there
> holding my horse by her halter lead while he trims and shoes her. Is this
> normal?

Hi Andrea,
I've had very few farriers that don't require the handler to be
present. It's a safety issue. Our farriers don't have group health
insurance to fall back on and have to take every precaution against
getting hurt. If they don't work, they don't get paid.
I've known some people who want their farrier to go out and catch their
horse and shoe it while they aren't even present! What happens if that
farrier gets hurt in the process? He/she lays there until someone
happens along to find him/her? No way!!
A handler can watch the horse's attitude and take necessary
disciplinary action to avert bad behavior before it becomes an issue.
The handler can also watch for anything that might scare the horse and
warn the farrier. Good farriers are hard to find. Take good care of
them!!
Nikki, Jakar, and our new lady, Colleena