ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Improving comfort on long rides

Re: Improving comfort on long rides

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 13:16:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997 lizh@best.com wrote:

> 1. My seat bones are aching. I rode in my Stuben. Would a sheepskin saddle
> cover help?

I ride in a stubben, without a sheepskin cover (and can't stand them as
they reduce my contact with the saddle and make my bum slip around). Your
seat bones are sore because you have been hitting the saddle with them too
hard. This is most often caused by posting either ahead of or behind the
movement of your horse. As you get more experience and your timing gets
better, this problem should go away.

> 2. I got a small blister on the inside of both legs, where the leather knee
> patch of my breeches rode up above my half chaps, bunched up and rubbed.
> Would wearing tights with no knee patch be the solution?

I would keep the knee patches on the britches and scrap the half-chaps.
Full seat breeches (though expensive) will give you even better "grip"
along the part of your leg that actually has firm contact with the horse.
I personally, find suede (or some suede like substance) knee patches to be
sufficient and full seat to not be worth the expense of buying and hassle
of caring for.

A major improvement can be had from 4-way strecth over 2-way stretch
breeches, if the 2-way is what you have.

> 3. My calf muscles are sore from all the posting. Do you experienced riders
> use different muscles to post the trot? or do you not post the trot and stay
> in suspension on your stirrups? or?

I have NEVER (even before I got in shape for LD riding) had sore CALF
muscles from posting. You must be using much different muscles from me.
Do you use a special endurance stirrup with shock absorbers in it? I
don't, so this may be the cause of this problem (I never have, so I just
don't know--I use a regular fillis stirrup).

I suspect that you may be using your lower leg too much, but not having
seen you ride, there is no way I could know for sure.

I post when I trot, but I may not actually come ALL the way down into the
saddle. My seat bones barely touch the saddle and the saddle is on its
way down when they come down and my seat is on its way up when the saddle
starts to come up. Weight distributed throughout the entire leg from the
inside of the thigh down to mid calf with some in the feet as well.

Hope this helps.

kat
Orange County, Calif.