ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: panting

Re: panting

Truman Prevatt (truman.prevatt@netsrq.com)
Tue, 27 May 1997 10:28:10 -0400

>On Sat, 24 May 1997 21:44:54 -0700, "Leslie Ernst, Rohde"
><lesrohde@teleport.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi, I'm new to endurance.net, and I am wondering if anyone has had
>>experience with a horse who pants habitually, even when she isn't
>>hot. This is a 5 year old morgan mare,
>
>This may be characteristic of Morgans. Lain, an AERC Hall of Fame
>endurance horse with over 8,000 miles, is a Morgan and a ferocious
>panter.

Some horses pant naturally. When I first started Misty (a walker) she
would pant, but over the years - she panted less. On very humid days she
will pant but she wouldn't pant as a general rule. Since she is a big girl
16-2 and about 1000 pounds I do everything I can to help her deal with the
heat. I found that by keeping her clipped (even in the summer) she handled
the heat much better and hence didn't need to pant as much.

Morgans tend to grow more hair than Arabs so you might want to see if
clipping will help.

Truman

Truman Prevatt
Mystic "The Horse form Hell" Storm with a lille hellion on the way
Danson "Deamon in Training" Flame
Sarasota, FL