ridecamp@endurance.net: Number of feeding a day, was Myths.

Number of feeding a day, was Myths.

Kim (Aliakey@geocities.com)
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 14:53:52 -0700

> Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 19:32:08 -0700
> From: Niccolai Murphy <hlurphy@socal.wanet.com>
On Sat, 26 Apr 1997 19:32:08 -0700, Niccolai Murphy
<hlurphy@socal.wanet.com> writes:

> A question to you and others, I'm genuinely curious and am not in any
> way out to insult anyone please don't take this the wrong way!!! Why
> feed two or three times a day? Why not just shove a load of hay there
> and make sure it never all gets eaten? That way they just snack a little
> all day and don't eat any more than using the several feedings a day
> method. There is no meal time as such here, but they still look forward
> to their supplement time. This way I can grab a horse anytime of the day
> without worrying about feeding time being missed and go riding. Or am I
> wrong?
>
> Nicco
---------------------------------------

I definately agree, "free-feeding" the four-legged vacuum would be the
preferred method, allowing her to eat as much as she needs and without
the stress of "breakfast/dinner anticipation". Unfortunately with my
situation, we have to board at a local stable which feeds on their own
schedule. I supplement as often as possible with extra hay, etc. if
needed or at least an hour before a ride (to help with the "munchies").

This year, 'Lee will not be training for any endurance events (gotta'
chase tomato harvesters this summer), so if I left her to a "free-fed"
method, she wouldn't fit past the stall door in a few weeks! I could
feed a higher fiber hay with less energy value if once again, I could be
given the choice from the stable. The stable grows their own hay (oat
and alfalfa), with no access to grass hays, etc. :-(

Yes, the most IDEAL method of feeding would be small amounts of hay
often or constant grazing, but those of us who board may not have that
option. So, we make due with what we have --- that's why I won't feed
grain before hay. I KNOW 'Lee will suck that stuff down in no time if
fed a few hours after breakfast or her dinner. Hay tames the hunger,
and the grain has a better chance of being chewed before swallowed.

Kim (and "Keep the feed comin' mom... 'Lee)