ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Calcium/Phosphorous ratio

Re: Calcium/Phosphorous ratio

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 10:35:52 -0700

The analysis is in %, so that it applies to any quantity. They are not
balanced, but that in and of itself is not pertinent. It is the overall
diet that must be balanced. Fed with alfalfa or another high calcium feed,
and the overall ratio will be ok. Fed with low calcium grass hays such as
orchard or oat hay, and Ca/P will be too low. Fed with grass hays such as
timothy or bermuda, it will probably be ok provided you are not feeding
grain as well. Without knowing what else and in what quantities you are
feeding the question is difficult to answer precisely. E-mail me what you
are feeding including quantities measured in lbs or kgs (flakes, cans,
scoops are meaningless) and I can calculate the overall diet (If you feed
any other commercial feeds, I need the analysis off the label as well).
Include any mineral supplements being fed.

The problem with the P level in Natural Glo, is that it is extremely high
(5 times the level in oats) and has virtually no calcium so that even a
pound or two can upset Ca/P in horses being fed grass hays, particularly
those that are marginally balanced to start with.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net

----------
> From: khuck@magicnet.net
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Re: ridecamp-d Digest V97 #281
> Date: Sunday, April 27, 1997 6:46 AM
>
> >Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 19:40:43 -0400 (EDT)
> >From: Tivers@aol.com
> >To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> >Subject: Re: Calcium/Phosphorous ratio
> >
> >In a message dated 97-04-26 13:05:15 EDT, you write:
> >
> ><< The guaranteed analysis on the bag of Rice Bran made by
Moormans