ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Saddle fitting in San Diego area?

Re: Saddle fitting in San Diego area?

Niccolai Murphy (hlurphy@socal.wanet.com)
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 06:30:12 -0700

Sue Riegel wrote:

> Hi, Nicco, I don't have any help on measuring for saddle fit, but I'm
> curious about your horse's sore back. I'm riding a Soft Rider saddle, (not
> a sports saddle, but similar idea), and have yet to sore a back.....yet.
> I'm a beginning endurance rider (wannabe), and am only doing 25-30 miles on
> gaited horses, so I actually SIT most of the ride. I've ridden with another
> friend who owns a sports saddle, loves it, and rides a fox trotter.
>
> I would like to be prepared for any problems, and am curious, if you have
> the time, for you to tell me more about how you ride, the length of your
> rides, type of terrain, etc., knowing that you're probably doing ten times
> what I'm doing.....but I want to be prepared in case the same thing starts
> to happen to my horses.
>
> Can you help?
>
> Sue

I'm also new at the game and relatively new to horses. I've three horses
and for that reason my time on each is limited. The horse I'm having
problems with is a 17 yo ex-tracker TB. Had him for almost exactly a
year now, got him for a dollar because I didn't really want another
horse and was trying to discourage the owner from dumping him on me.
Never the less, he had a good attitude if you didn't count the biting,
kicking and bucking. He's now a well behaved fellow, needless to say.

A typical week goes like this. One or two days of 90 minutes in a
dressage arena doing basic training level stuff (we don't count this as
work, just schooling, looking for better manners and posture). One to
two days short (about ten miles) relatively quick (for us) up and down
local hills, which can get quite steep and rocky. A typical trip would
be from our front gate walk one mile, go as quick as trail or traffic or
HR will permit out to the local lake via some hills, around the lake and
back, walk the last mile - 75 minutes, max HR 200, average HR 100. Then
one longer slower ride on the week end with a lunch break, typically 15
to 30 miles, max HR 170 average 90. This weekend for example was 15
miles (half of it hard hilly trail at a walk - cause you can't go any
faster without breaking something) in 3 hours 45 minutes, 45 minute
lunch then five miles of similar in an hour we would have done more but
the other horses need riding too. My wife would also typically take him
out, afterwards for a one or two hour cooling off, schooling ride in the
arena.

One of the problems is that since I've had him, Hal has gained a lot of
muscle and also it seems, some fat, hence has changed shape and probably
gained a few pounds. It wasn't that he was mistreated before we got him,
just not riden much due to having put the rear of horses into everyone
who came near him. He was thus a rack of bones holding up a skin tent
and hay belly.

I'm not convinced that I have a saddle fit problem per se, which is why
I'd like to measure the fit. The other saddles fit well for a while
until he out grew them, then they left dry spots but not a sore back.
The Sports Saddle doesn't leave dry spots but he has a sore back, but
it's not the spine, seems to be on the ribs. I wonder if it's caused by
how the stirrups attach. Could be me, seems that the SS takes a lot of
getting used to and a radical change in riding style.

--
Nicco Murphy, San Diego County 'Open the bay door, please, Hal'