ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Minerals

Re: Minerals

Susan F. Evans (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 14:26:56 -0700

henslee wrote:

> Hi: Do any of you knowledgeable nutrition people out there know whether
> or not a high potassium level will cause a horse to have a more difficult
> time cooling himself when exercising. Patricia

Not that I've ever heard of. Really REALLY high levels will mess up the
cellular osmotic pressure and can cause muscle weakness (hyperkalemic
periodic paresis) and possibly cardiac arrest (I think injecting
potassium into the heart is how they stop the heart from beating during
cardiac surgery, but dunno for sure). I assume we're not talking about
THAT high a level. Maybe someone else has heard of potassium
interfering with cooling.

Susan