ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: mountain rope reins

Re: mountain rope reins

Susan F. Evans (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 14:12:44 -0700

Flemmer, Linda wrote:

> I'm considering trying reins made of mountain climbing rope. Before I
> ordered them, I was curious if other folks had tried them & what they
> thought.
>
> I have a couple of concerns. I know that the rope is light - is it so
> light that there isn't enough weight to keep the rope from "flapping in
> the breeze"? Also, since it is made of synthetics, is there a problem
> of blisters and burns when riding, or if the horse pulls when using
> them for tailing or leading? (I know, gloves are always an option.)

I have a several sets of reins made out of mtn. rope and I love 'em to
death. Pretty colors, incredibly strong and last forever.

When you go to REI or wherever to get the rope, compare the different
types. They come in different widths (I prefer the 11 mm diameter) and
different IFE (impact force elongation) ratings. The thicker rope is a
bit more comfortable for me to hold, and a rope with a higher IFE rating
is less stiff. The IFE rating has to do with how much the rope
stretches when you fall off a rock face and hit the end of the rope---a
rope that doesn't stretch at all is a poor way to end a fifty foot fall
(though it beats the alternative), and a rope that stretches too much
breaks your fall but could also possibly break your fall too late to
keep you from splattering yourself on the ground. Anyway, if you just
feel the rope and flop it around, you can get a good idea of how "live"
a feel it has, which makes for very nice communication with the horse's
mouth and is alot easier to tie a horse with.

I've never had a problem with it being too light. It's around 79 grams
per meter (yes, I rock climb, too!) so an 8' section, not including
clips is about half a pound. Just be sure to melt the ends, because it
frays in no time. I don't know if it causes worse rope burns, 'cause I
always ride with gloves anyway. The advantages make up for the
disadvantage, if it does, IMO.

By the way, they also sell "accessory cord" by the foot, which is the
same thing except in thin cord. This stuff is just peachy for tying
things to saddles or for a tailing rein. On one very memorable
occasion, I made the extremely poor choice of trying to ride the second
loop of Bear Valley Springs without a breast collar, had to end up using
my reins for a makeshift breastcollar and used my "string" as reins for
the last 20 miles or so. Worked just fine, but looked a little odd.

Geez, Steph is gonna kill me for posting so much stuff today.

Susan Evans