ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: mountain rope reins

Re: mountain rope reins

tina hicks (hickst@puzzler.nichols.com)
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 13:35:25 -0500

At 01:06 PM 4/17/97 -0400, Flemmer, Linda wrote:
>I'm considering trying reins made of mountain climbing rope. Before I
>ordered them, I was curious if other folks had tried them & what they
>thought.

Linda I've been using some reins made out of this for not quite a year and I
love them!!! I literally went down to the local outdoor store, bought it,
tied snaps on the end and had reins - for a total of about $10. My rope is a
little on the thin side really - I need to make another set in slightly
thicker rope.

I have not had any trouble with it burning from pulling - grip is pretty
good as I didn't have trouble with it going thru my hands . Grip is just as
good in the rain as when it's dry and it it's knotted or tied and gets wet
it's not frozen that way for eons :-). This is nice as once we get settled
and going down the trail I like to tie a knot in the end to take out the
slack and just hold onto the end loop - this stuff un-knots very well.
Matter of fact it is so good about that I've considered using it instead of
rawhide strings on the saddle.

It is very light - tho I wouldn't say that that causes any trouble. No
stretching that I can tell.

All in all I am very pleased with them.

Tina
Tony - I have sneakers for climbing mtns, only figures my reins would be mtn
climbing rope