ridecamp@endurance.net: Re[2]: Another saddle question!

Re[2]: Another saddle question!

Bonnie Snodgrass (snodgrab@ncr.disa.mil)
Tue, 08 Apr 97 11:41:00 EST

This is a good question. I have a SS and I use a woolback pad, no
inserts under it. I am not a heavy weight, (135 lb plump), have had no
back problems yet on the two horses I ride. I am not yet doing longer
distances however. I know and ride with several SS users, most are
small women but Bob Walsh is at the high end of middle weight. I
believe they all use plain double fleece pads without inserts. Nancy
Smart and Bob both do 100's in theirs. I don't believe they've had any
back problems with their horses.

As someone mentioned a few days ago, when a SS was tested with the
computer connected sensor device it showed that the riders weight did
contact the back clear across the back including the spinal area. When
a skito pad (there are other brands) with inserts was used the weight
was removed from the spinal area because the inserts in the pad have a
gap between them that leaves the spine area weight free. Was that
understandable? This makes sense to me and I would consider getting a
Skito pad if the pommel (front tree) of my saddle was wider. These
saddles are touted as fitting all horses. I am not bitching about the
saddle or vendor but I found out after receiving my saddle (3 mon wait
with no saddle that was useable on my new horse) that the newer
saddles are narrower than the old models and are available in a wider
pommel width. I really could use the wider fit for my young horse. As
it is I use a thinner pad on him and could not use a fat pad with
inserts. The saddle is a perfect fit on the other horse I ride. Just
in case you are about to fire off a message that I may be hurting my
horse if the tree is too narrow it really doesn't bother him since
it's all so flexible, it just doesn't sit down and around the withers
like the older model. He lifts his back up under my seat bones and
stretched forward and down very well. In a year or so I might have a
saddle made for him. Ought to sell one or two of the saddles that
don't fit him first. Anyone need a nice nearly new jump saddle???

Bonnie Snodgrass