ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Wild Arab /Wkend story

Re: Wild Arab /Wkend story

Niccolai Murphy (niccom@aerostructures.com)
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 07:02:50 -0800

> From: "Connie Hoge" <pvtevt@msn.com>
> emerged from the woods, several large steers on the far side of the fence
> decided to charge! Kalika took off, went a short distance down the hill,
> stopped, whirled toward the steers, stiffened up & went "SNORT"! Jesse was
> still on!

You don't need to have an ARAB for that. My young gelding gave me a
start on Friday. He's had the saddle about 20 times and Friday was his
fifth trail ride (all 1 to 3 miles). He is a QH/TWH mix (supposed to be
boring) and up until then hard been very mellow with nary a spook in
him. Friday he turned tail and did a hundred yard dash from two girls
leading their horses down the trail. Later that evening two dogs
startled him and he did the same thing except this time it was into
someone's back yard, very narrow, lots of trees. The third tree branch
finally pushed me and the saddle over and off I went. Um, forgot to let
go until I got clobered on the head and back pretty well, he wasn't
slowing or turning split reins or no. Finally I figured that completing
the day in a squashed state would be a tad over doing it, so I let him
go and waited for him to come get me when he was ready.

Guess I pushed him too far too soon. Back to the drawing board. :)
-
Nicco Murphy, San Diego County