ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: nite light

Re: nite light

Becky Huffman (hhcc1@htcomp.net)
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 21:40:24 -0600

Joe,

I know exactly what you are talking about with the lights. I ride some
roads at night and all the cars turn their brights on.

I found a small flour. , plastic lantern (round like a toilet paper tube)
that lights down the side instead of out one end. Attached to the breast
collar, it gives a soft glow around the horses' front feet and a small area
in front. I am planning to so some 100s this year, but I really need light
when I do my training rides as I have small children and a
(bless-his-heart) work-a-holic husband. I must ride when I can. All
kidding aside, we do have a real snake problem, as well as a rabies
epidemic with a high population of coyotes and skunks. We also have very
thick prickly pear catus patches and animal dens and colonies of dens. I
stick to the trail during a race, at home, I go where I please.

I have made my peace with the dark.
On our first 100, Shadowfax and I were alone on the trail with no light and
no moon, deep in East Texas Piney Woods. If he didn't have extremely good
night vision, we would still be there, as I could not see at all.
Riding from 4am to sunup in the pre-dawn did not prepare me for what it was
like when the sun went down between 6:30-7pm. We had planned a slow ride
and, as scheduled, didn't finish until well after midnight. We loped and
galloped the last four miles as I had tons of horse left but not much time.
- - again, my poor light had given out. I gave him his head and my trust
and he brought us home (in the dark).

I have found that a steady, soft light works much better than flashing a
bright, spot light on and off. It allows your eyes to adjust and see any
dangers on the trail without being alternately blinded by light and then
dark.

Becky
Semper Fi & The ShadowRat
Huffman Horse and Cattle Company
Fine Endurance Arabians and 'Horned Cows'
hhcc1@htcomp.net