ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: High protein feed and any chance of mad cow disease?

Re: High protein feed and any chance of mad cow disease?

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 13:29:19 -0800

I have never seen a feed that wasn't labeled with its constituents. I
thought it was required by law. I have seen no references to any TSE (a
term for a large number of similar diseases similar to mad cow) in equines.
I would be more concerned about my cat (who eats animal derived proteins
and is susceptible), but since there aren't many cats with the problem, I
going to worry more about lightening. Incidently, mink and sheep seem to be
most commonly infected with TSE in the US.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net

----------
> From: Ann Hatfield <keithr@nocdc.bc.ca>
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: High protein feed and any chance of mad cow disease?
> Date: Saturday, March 22, 1997 8:10 AM
>
> I was reading the posts defining high protein feed, lower protein, etc.
and
> a chilling thought occurred to me. Some feeds here list the total
> constituents, the sources from which they derive their fats, protein,
etc.,
> but not all do. I wonder in particular about the high protein feeds-do
any
> of them use animal meat to boost protein levels?
>
> A friend bought a fine old horse at out local auction and on someone's
> advice fed him hog feed which is very high in protein. ( Yes, we had a
> discussion, she and I, about old horses' kidneys and lots of protein!)
He
> ate it and she bought another bag from a different feed mill later which
he
> wouldn't touch. She kindly gave it to me! I dumped it in the compost
and
> as it decomposed it reeked! It sure didn't smell like a vegetable
protein
> base. That bag did not identify the source of the protein.
>
> Yecch. My bacon is being fed what? I eat little meat now and may yet
> become a total vegetarian!
>
> I can't remember-have we had mad cow disease crop up in North America?
Mad