ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: nite light

Re: nite light

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 22:31:04 GMT

On Sat, 22 Mar 1997 10:40:20 -0600, you wrote:

>I am having problems finding a reliable light for riding in the dark. =
Even
>with new batteries and bulb, light will not stay good for long enough to
>complete loop!!

I'd say you're not using your light properly. It should not be on all
the time. IMHO, you are better off keeping the light off as much as you
can, turning it on only for tricky spots or to spot trail markers. The
horse can see quite well at night, if you don't spoil his night vision
-- and if you leave the light off, you'll be surprised how well *you*
can see once your eyes have adjusted. A light, particularly a bright
focused light like many helmet lights, don't allow your eyes to adjust.

While I'm at it, I'd like to express a "pet peeve" of mine -- riders who
don't turn their lights off as they approach a rider who isn't using
one. They harm his (and his horse's) night vision. The very worst is
to ride behind someone while using a helmet light -- the harsh, bouncing
shadows that throws ahead of the other rider makes it very difficult for
the person ahead to see anything.

The only light I've used for years on 100 mile rides is a small mini-mag
light, which uses two AA batteries. I can adjust for spot or flood as
needed, and carry it easily on a cord around my neck. One set of
batteries is usually enough for a ride, though I carry a spare light
just in case.

--=20

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net