ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Canary grasss hay and wet feet

Re: Canary grasss hay and wet feet

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 09:33:41 -0800

Strychnine doesn't make any sense although I wouldn't want to say there
isn't any. However, the following is quoted from NRC's Nutrient
Requirements of Horses. "Hordenine, a substance present in certain
feedstuffs such as sprouted barley and reed canarygrass, has a stimulating
effect on the heart. Hordenine residue in the urine has resulted in the
disqulification of some race horses (Reilly, 1981; Cheeke and Shull,
1985)." Reed canaryglass is listed in the feed tables as Pharlaris
arundinacea.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net

> From: Ann Hatfield <keithr@nocdc.bc.ca>
> To: willmus@runestone.net
> Cc: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Canary grasss hay and wet feet
> Date: Saturday, March 22, 1997 8:31 AM
>
> Karen, when you say that you feed canary hay is that different from
Canary