ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: 2 day rides

Re: 2 day rides

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 17:53:34 GMT

On Wed, 19 Mar 1997 10:48:05 -0600, you wrote:

>what kinds of things do you do after the first day of a 2 day (100) to make
>sure your horse is as fresh looking and free moving on the morning of the
>2nd day as he was starting the first day? Lots of handwalking? Icing? Any
>special routines you have discovered?

I think the most important measure is to keep the horse in a paddock rather than
tied so that he can move about freely, lie down where he wants, etc.

Also, walking him at gradually increasing intervals during the evening (it
doesn't take much, he needs to rest, too), and a gradual warmup the next
morning. The evening walks would inlcude a little in-hand trotting too. I'd
warm up from in-hand walk to in-hand trot to mounted trot before taking him to
the vet in the morning. This routine served on the five-day rides too.

I never used ice, although I'd use cold water on the legs if it was available.

--

Joe Long jlong@mti.net http://www.mti.net Business http://www.rnbw.com Personal