ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Gaited vs. Arab

Re: Gaited vs. Arab

gerhardt (gerhardt@theriver.com)
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 17:51:23 -0700

To Wendy Milner,

Thank you for your comments. I asked the questions I did not to offend
anyone but genuinely to get information. Having come out of a dressage and
three day eventing background, I agree with you that training can make a
great deal of difference in the comfort of the trot, just as poor riding
can throw a gaited horse out of gait. I teach each person who buys one of
my horses how to ride it properly if they live close enough to me, and I do
a great deal of long distance, mail and now e-mail, consulting and
teaching. Riding a gaited horse is not difficult, it is just a different
style of riding than people have ususally learned.

However, the very nature of the trot, a diagonal two beat gait, means there
will be concussion, and the more suspension between the diagonal pairs, the
more the concussion will be. For a 46 year old rider such as myself, I
simply can't take it anymore. No matter how smooth the trot, I have not
found a trotting horse with the comfort for the rider's joints and back as
the evenly timed 4 beat gait of a properly gaited horse.

Your comments about the variability of the Mountain Horses are absolutely
correct. This is because they were bred for function, not standardization.
I have one horse that is 13-3H, is smooth as glass and can easily maintain
8 to 10 mph in gait over the 2 to 4 hours I usually ride, with bursts up to
about 12 mph. We have put everyone from 2 years old to 85 years old on her.
I have another that is 15H, not quite as smooth as she has more lift in
front and hock action in back, due to different bloodlines, that can
maintain the same trail speeds over distance, and hit over 14mph in a
measured distance of one-quarter mile, in gait, while maintaining even
timing. She is also used regularly as a demostration horse. I have never
conditioned my horses to see how fast they could go for how long, though.

Your thoughts about why there are more Arabs and Arabs crosses out on the
trail were very interesting. If indeed your odds are that 80% of Arabs can
do endurance if trained, while only 20% of other breeds can, that would
certainly explain why they are the favored horses for endurance riding.

Thank you again for taking the time to comment.

Annette

\
\