ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: gaited horses

Re: gaited horses

gerhardt (gerhardt@theriver.com)
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 18:46:44 -0700

To Lauren,

Briefly, gait is a blending gene, or actally, a group of genes on a
continum from weak, the walk we see in the average horse, to strong, the
gaited breeds, with everything in the middle. Many horses not thought of as
gaited are weakly gaited in the sense that they have a very fast walk
before breaking to a trot. If you breed non gaited to gaited, you will
usually get a horse about in the middle of the parents, partially gaited.
Usually the horse will have a fast walk or even a gait at slow and moderate
speeds, but will be very variable in the consistency of its gait,
especially over rough ground, distance and time. When pushed to speed it
will drift to a foxtrot or hard trot at a slow speed, and break to a canter
at a relatively slow speed compared to a fully gaited horse. This is why I
do not encourage breedings of non gaited mares to my gaited stallions.
There are gaited stallions out there that are so strongly gaited that they
will put decent gait on the foal out of non gaited mares, but even then the
gait of the foal will not be as strong as it would starting with a gaited
mare. If the people want gait, they are money and time ahead to just buy a
foal out of gaited parents rather than breed a non gaited horse to a gaited
horse. However, there are times when people want to do such breedings after
I explain this to them, because they want the temperament, or like my
stallion's conformation. That's fine, I've done my job as a breeder to tell
them what they are likley to get in terms of gait, or rather, lack of it.
Arabs tend to have very strong trot genes, and are notoriously difficult to
get gaited foals from, although it is not unheard of, especially if the
Arab has a strong walk or is from one of the rare gaited lines of Arabs.

I have been told that not only are there gaited lines of Arabs, but that
until the 1920's there were classes for gaited Arabs in the shows in the
U.S. I think Victoria Varley who is now breeding Tiger Horses, appaloosa
patterned gaited horses, told me that, and I think she said she had some
gaited Arab mares that she had used in her breeding program in developing
the Tiger Horses. If indeed Arabs are the best endurance horses, as so many
in this group seem to think, then a gaited Arab would really be the
ultimate!

If you wish further information on the genetics of gait and the production
of gait in a breeding program, please give me your address in private
email, gerhardt@theriver.com, and I will send you a series of articles
published by Eldon Eadie and myself on gait genetics.

Annette