ridecamp@endurance.net: (no subject)

(no subject)

Jennifer Heim (JHEIM@gunder.com)
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 14:35:00 -0800

Fireworks - a blast of a ride! Very well managed. Base camp is Graham
Hill Showgrounds, two large arenas, some corrals (these usually fill up
instantly); fields and trees. Very close to town of Santa Cruz, gas,
restaurants, food. Camp in the trees if you can - it can get very hot
at camp. Lots and lots of parking - don't be deceived by area near
arenas, drive past arenas and have the meadows to yourself. Be very
careful driving over Hwy 17 from Hwy 280 - this is a mountain pass and
the local idiots DO NOT obey the speed limit. Do not go anywhere near
Hwy 17 during rush hour - it's the only pass over the Santa Cruz from
the Silicon Valley and one wreck can ruin your whole drive. If you're
coming from Petaluma, recommend taking 101 to 280 (change is at Golden
Gate Bridge, take the 19th Ave exit - I know, it's a nasty). 280 to
Hwy 92,take this much shorter (and quieter) pass over to the beach and
go south on Hwy 1 to Santa Cruz.

Ride attracts a huge amount of entrants. Ride is a controlled start -
stay to the back of the pack. Start of trail goes down a "staircase"
to the river - don't get caught up in the gridlock and perhaps have a
nasty horse near yours (it happened to me). Once trail opens up
(about half-mile), riders are turned loose. Very good footing, little
rock, some sand, mostly jeep trails. A couple of steep climbs, mostly
rolling hills. Can be deceiving. If weather is foggy, you'll make
good time - but in the sun it can be scorching. Good water
availability, cross a river 2x. Easy crew access. From last check on
25-miler, you will cross river and start climb back up base camp, watch
those ribbons very carefully. You will come to a junction and you
will get lost unless you watch carefully. It's not an easy 25, but
it's no mini-Tevis, either. A good, challenging ride with incredible
vistas. Trail is not that difficult to the first check, it's the last
12 miles that have some climbs.

Have tons of fun - it's a great ride. Hopefully, we'll be there this
year!
Jen & the Sunman
From: Linda Cowles <linda_cowles@MENTORG.COM>

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 08:47:45 -0800
Hi Kimberly,

Fireworks (30) Aug 2, 97 at Santa Cruz, CA

I've done Fireworks 30 and 50, and loved it. It's an easy ride, and
many people go fast on it. It would be a good 1st 50 if you have speed
control!
It's easy to go too fast as a beginner. It was my first 50.

Things to consider are:

- The start can cause problems for some folks. Everyone enters a big
arena to warm up and then there is a fast trot controlled start which
goes flat for 1/2 miles then goes down to a muddy creek andup large
steps ... some horses don't care for the arena, and there is often a
fair amount of tail gating going down to the creek. It has been a
shot-gun start in the past. - It's good to pre-ride the first few
miles of the trail, particularly the "steps" coming up out of the
creek. The first time he saw them, Shatirr was sure that horses weren't
suppose to go up them, and I was really glad that we took the time to
check it out. I pre-rode the steps part, then went back and rode the
last 3 or 4 miles that we would be coming back to camp on.

- There are several places where you cross the San Lorenzo river, and
the water can get belly deep. Shatirr thought bathing would be nice,
and we barely excaped taking a dip!

- I definitely recommend taking a butt cover or sending a warm
blanket to the lunch stop at the coast if you do the 50 (I don't think
the 30 milers go there, but if they do - get a blanket there!) It can
get damned cold there,even in the summer, and I almost had to pull one
year because I didn't have a blanket and Shatirr started getting tight.

There is camping at the ride, the meals and management is very good,
footing is good most years - some holes in the forest, roots and the
like, but not too bad. The trails are well marked, but folks get lost
anyway because there are so many side trails. It is on the coast, so I
bring warm horse and people clothes just in case.

I may ride it this year too... good ride!

--

Linda Cowles ************************************************* I've heard that the Fireworks ride can be really tough on the horses because of the heat and humidity. That is one ride where you often hear stories of horses dying :(.

Happy Trails,

Karen in Gardnerville