ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Forging & Interfering??

Re: Forging & Interfering??

Tracy Stampke (zebella@idt.net)
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 14:36:57 -0700

MARDIP@aol.com wrote:

> Hmmm, I thought scalping was hitting the back of the front leg at a point
> higher than the heel with the toe of the hind foot. (My gelding did what I
> described while loose playing and required 20 stitches in his pastern.
> Luckily he didn't sever the tendon.)

According to "Horses:A Guide to the Selection care and enjoyment" by
Evans, scalping is defined as: The top of the hindfoot (right above the
coronet) hitting the toe of the front foot right after the forefoot
breaks over. So this scalping would be an injury on the rear leg.

I couldn't find an exact name for what you described, but I'll keep
looking....

tracy