ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Rules of the Road

Re: Rules of the Road

Tracy Stampke (zebella@idt.net)
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 19:27:25 -0700

Kathy Shank wrote:

> To get to a rail-to-trail from the barn where I board my horse I have to
> go 3/4 mile down a road. Up to now I have always ridden my horse (at a
> walk) down this stretch. Today I decided I may as well just lead him
> down the road, as I'm sure I could use the exercise more than he could.
> (After two babies, things just aren't the way they used to be.) Here is
> my question: It is my understanding that I (on horseback) have the
> right-of-way regarding oncoming traffic, as long as I am riding on the
> correct side (right side) of the road in the direction of traffic. What
> happens if I am dismounted & leading the horse? Do I still have the
> right-of-way, or am I now expected to get off the road onto the shoulder
> somewhere? In some places there really isn't enough room on the
> shoulder, and I generally don't ride there anyway because I never know
> what broken glass or bits of metal may be hidden there. Does anyone know
> whether or not I lose the right-of-way once I dismount?
>
> Kathy & "Shane"
> Camp Hill,

Is that correct? You're supposed to ride WITH the traffic? Here, we
always ride facing the oncoming traffic.

There have been people (and horses) hurt and killed here when hit from
behind by cars. The latest accident Was on a road we travel often
(gulp!) A car swerved 20 feet off the road to hit a horse &
rider....rider was hurt to the point that he may never ride again, the
horse had to be tracked through the desert...was finally found about a
mile away with a gash to the bone on one hip, the other hind leg hanging
by a flap of skin. I believe they destroyed the horses on the spot.

So, we always ride facing traffic, and here I would probably never get
off and walk around traffic unless it was necessary. We've had people
throw bottles and stuff out their windows at us. I'd feel like a
sitting duck on foot.

Just my opinion.....tracy