ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Water Bucket protocol

Re: Water Bucket protocol

Tracy Stampke (zebella@idt.net)
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 13:11:07 -0700

Laura G. Causey (305) 293-1442 wrote:

> I've got a question--- what is the protocol concerning water buckets and
> hay, in fact, all the goodies one's pit crew sets up for a rider or a rider
> sends ahead as far as others using them. I have had several instances
> where other riders feel free to use anyone's buckets or hay or people
> drinking water at a vet check. I think an incoming rider should look for
> their own, if missing their crew or sent ahead buckets, he or she should
> REQUEST assistance from others, not help themselves. Not so, says one
> vocal southeast rider- the horse can't read the name on the bucket , she
> says, and he should be encouraged to drink anywhere, so shut up and don't
> bother her, is her song. Twice she has left my bucket empty and my hay
> half gone. I've even told her if she wants to send something ahead with my
> crew, we'll set it up for her. She just needs to plan ahead. I got a
> witchy letter from her saying she will complain to AERC about crew
> harassemnt of rider if my crew says anything to her again. Am I wrong?
> Don't get me wrong-- I'm all for helping each other. Just don't assume
> it's okay to take what I have set up for my horse.
> Laura

Boy I don't think I agree with this other rider's opinion! There have
been times when my crew got lost and others offered me the use of their
hay, etc, even blankets.....but to take without even asking? That'
RUDE!!! I for one would be pretty pissed off to find my horses's feed
and water gone when I showed up...esp. if your're riding solo and don't
have any more of your own there and have to go begging yourself!

Tell this person to get organized or learn some manners!

tracy