From several other instances thru the years I had him he showed that
he didn't panic over anything entangling his legs. I would guess it
had a lot to do with the hobbles. On the other hand, I did use them on
several young Apps that I worked for a rancher. One 2 yr old out of 6
horses took one small step after being hobbled, sniffed the hobbles
then left at a gallop. Yes, they can do it if they're clever.

Bonnie Snodgrass

Subject: hobbles
Author: ridecamp@endurance.net at smtp
Date: 2/6/97 9:01 PM

While reading all the posts about falling off and sacking out, I
thought I would share with you a technique I use, hobbles. I teach
every horse we have to hobble with the thought that someday it may
save his life. If a horse catches a leg in a fence / hole / rein /
anything, I don't want them to panic. Amazing how easy they adapt to
hobbles, grazing within a minute or two with no big deal. I proved
this technique finally when my aged Arab got into some box wire that
was buried under a new trail we had cut. He simply stopped, looked
down at his leg, back up at me and stood there.
John and Sue Greenall
greenall@vermontel.com