ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Knee pads?

Re: Knee pads?

Reynolds, Nikki (jakar@aiinc.com)
Wed, 05 Feb 1997 04:59:09 -0800

Diana L. Benson wrote:

> Hi - I've had some MAJOR knee/tree crashes in the past but never found a
> knee pad I could stand to wear while riding distance...

Hi Diana,
I've had a few close calls with knee-knockers in the mountains, but
what I've found works in an emergency is to do a half-dismount and get
that leg out of harm's way. I've only done it at a trot so far and I
imagine it would be kinda scary going any faster. You lean forward and
put your hands on your horse's neck balancing OVER your horse and pull
your leg up over the croup until you get by the obstacle. Definitely
something you should practice before the actual emergency. I didn't...
but my intent the first time was to part company with my horse. I
chickened-out and after we'd passed the tree safely, I thought, "Whoa!!
Smooth move!! I'll have to do that more often!" I like your idea
better though and we're going to work on that and use this other for
Plan B. ~Nikki~