ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: High Suspensory Stretch-Rx?

Re: High Suspensory Stretch-Rx?

Bonnie Snodgrass (snodgrab@ncr.disa.mil)
Tue, 04 Feb 97 07:00:42 EST

When I lived on Oahu my big TB gelding hurt a branch of his left fore
suspensory. This was his only crooked leg, he toed out with this foot
and he strained the inner branch (inside of the fetlock pastern). My
regular vet prescribed a short time in a stall then return to his
small paddock with another couple weeks off then return to work. Well
the problem kept cropping up again. Never real bad. Then he dumped me
out in the surgar cane feilds and ran a couple of miles through deep
plow. When I found him he was on three legs. Fortunately for me my
regular vet had been injured by a horse and she had brought another
vet over from CA to help. He had worked the TB tracks in CA and had
leg/lameness background. He said when this horse was first hurt he
should have been stuck in a stall for a lot longer then handwalked for
a long time then put into a very small, non-slippery turn-out while
worked under saddle at a walk. So anyway, M'Larkey was put in a stall
for two months, stalled with hand walking (in a lip chain!) for a
month then finally given access to a 16x36' corral with a non-dirt
surface. It was a bitch. He and I hated it, but he healed right and
has stayed sound since.

Ultrasounding is such a marvelous tool and should be used several
times to check the healing progress. Wish I had it available back
then.

Good Luck

Bonnie Snodgrass