starting with the group

tina hicks (hickst@puzzler.nichols.com)
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 08:45:25 -0600

At 07:07 PM 1/26/97 -0800, Jerry & Susan Milam wrote:
>When I ride at home and train in our reservation I can ride my young arab
>with a halter. When I went to my first endurance ride, my arab turned
>into a MANIAC. He was overstimulated to the point I needed something to
>get his attention in the fracas. I had to put his bit back in his mouth
>to gain control again.
But had he ever been ridden in a group? I think that is the biggest surprise
to most newer endurance riders/horses - how a horse will act in a group. Can
be dangerous for you and those around you if you have not prepared your
horse for it.

I hope everyone knows you don't *have* to start with the group if you are
unsure how your horse will act with 30 other horses going down the trail.
You can simply check in and then wait for the crowd to leave - allowing
yourself a peaceful, relaxed start and IMO a much more enjoyable ride.

No this doesn't mean you will come in last - not by any means - often you
will catch up/pass those that are busy fighting their horses going down the
trail.

Then you go home and work on riding in a group :-)

Tina (been there, done that several times)
Tony (who may never get to start with the group)
hickst@nichols.com