Re: starting with the group

Reynolds, Nikki (jakar@aiinc.com)
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 07:13:50 -0800

tina hicks wrote:

> At 07:07 PM 1/26/97 -0800, Jerry & Susan Milam wrote:
> >When I ride at home and train in our reservation I can ride my young arab
> >with a halter. When I went to my first endurance ride, my arab turned
> >into a MANIAC. He was overstimulated to the point I needed something to
> >get his attention in the fracas. I had to put his bit back in his mouth
> >to gain control again.
> But had he ever been ridden in a group? I think that is the biggest surprise
> to most newer endurance riders/horses - how a horse will act in a group. Can
> be dangerous for you and those around you if you have not prepared your
> horse for it.
>
> I hope everyone knows you don't *have* to start with the group if you are
> unsure how your horse will act with 30 other horses going down the trail.
> You can simply check in and then wait for the crowd to leave - allowing
> yourself a peaceful, relaxed start and IMO a much more enjoyable ride.
>
> No this doesn't mean you will come in last - not by any means - often you
> will catch up/pass those that are busy fighting their horses going down the
> trail.
>
> Then you go home and work on riding in a group :-)
>
> Tina (been there, done that several times)
> Tony (who may never get to start with the group)
> hickst@nichols.com

Hi Tina and Everybody!,
I like to wait at the start and leave later for several reasons. It
does eliminate problems with riding with a halter. I don't have to
breath dust or worry about being kicked. And, best of all, I get to
meet more people as we catch them on the trail and in the first gate.
We pleasure riders at the rear have more time to socialize! ~Nikki~