Re: Be Prepared

Mark A. Thayer (mathayer@cs.unm.edu)
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 11:01:17 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Samm C Bartee wrote:

> In my job, we are trained to look for ARA's, and hopefully, how to deal
> with them should the need arise. Some are very dangerous, many are just
> uninformed. They buy into the media hype that the lunatic fringe print.
> It's a sad note, however, that many of the lunatic frinze ARA's do not
> really care about the animals, only the political pull and public
> recognition. ALF <Animal Liberation Front> being key among them.

It's neither political pull nor public recognition that they're after.

The only conclusion I can come to that makes any sense, after reading
PETA's stuff, is that their primary motivation is not animal welfare.
Their primary motivation is that they hate man.

Sounds weird, but that's the only theme I could come up with that tied
all of their arguments together. It also, to some extent, explains the
irrationality (from our point of view) of their behaviour.

Again, this is *not* true of most animal welfare folks.

Mark