Re: Nutrition - open to suggestions!

C.M.Newell (reshan@deyr.ultranet.com)
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 11:56:57 -0500

At 06:55 AM 1/15/97 EST, Bonnie wrote:
> This is just anecdotal and my personal opinion but I think that for
> many horses sweet feeds will push them over the edge to silliness and
> hot behavior. Wether this is because of the molasses in the feed or
> all the added nutrients/vitamins that are added. Lots of folks don't
> consider the additives in a prepared feed (this includes most pelleted
> feeds too)...

Good point. One of my particular pet peeves about people who blame
molasses for everything is that most of them don't realize there is actually
*more* molasses in most pellets than in sweet feed. (What do you think holds
those pellets together?)
Personally, I've never had a problem with molasses, but that may be
because my horses get realtively little grain. (I don't endurance ride, but
I trail ride and foxhunt.)If your horse can keep its weight on good quality
hay, you're better off all together.
(I like sweet feed because the E-Se supplement sticks to it.)
--Charlotte