Re: Winter hoof woes & blankets

Sarah McIntosh (smcintos@rapidnet.net)
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 05:30:42 GMT

At 09:59 PM 1/11/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Horse blankets. What types of blankets do you guys use for turnout? I need
>something really durable. What types of fabrics are most durable, what
>types of options do you like the best, and the least?

Hi Karen:

I started my own "company" (in the smallest sense of the word) in order to
get good quality horse blankets, shipping boots, saddle bags, etc. (to
supply me and my friends and whoever I run into)

What I have used so far is Cordura (1000 denier and 420 denier) for the
outer shell and various insulations depending on what people want for their
horse (thinsulate types, nylon/acrylic sherpa, wool melton). Cordura is
VERY tough and personally I think it is tougher and more tear resistant than
the treated canvas (cotton?) that is used to make the NZ blankets. Just my
own opinion. My blankets don't cost much more than the store and I
guarantee the quality of work and materials (I charge about $175 canadian
for my typical winter blanket custom measured to fit each horse). So far,
my customers have been happy with my straps and clips (1.5" or 2" nylon
webbing with lots of reinforcement stitching where attached). I use a strap
across the girth and criss-crossed straps between the back legs. (can your
horse escape with this setup??)

I thought I was unique when I started last year, but since have found
several other companies like me but more established in my province (British
Columbia, CANADA).

My advice would be to look around for a smaller blanket manufacturer and if
you can find one, you can probably custom order something that suits your needs.

Good luck!

Sarah & Tiki (the trail-happy Appy)
BC, Canada