Re: Extended trot vs canter and mares vs geldings

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
Sun, 05 Jan 1997 18:06:26 GMT

On Sat, 4 Jan 97 21:07:07 +0000, you wrote:

>My friend and I are new to endurance riding having only been in
>2 50 mile rides. Was wondering if we could have some advice on
>a couple of items. First mares vs geldings in our area geldings seemed
>to be preferred was wondering why?? Also my friend prefer the extended
>trot for most of the rides and I prefer the canter. Pros and cons of
>either??

I personally believe the value of the extended trot is often overrated.
The real goal is to minimize the stress and energy usage by the horse
for a given speed down the trail. As speed increases and the trot
extends, stress and energy use goes up. At some point, a canter will be
more effecient and less stressful than the trot.

This point is different for different horses, different terrain, and
diferrent weight carried. The only way to know if a trot or canter is
better under any particular situation is to be in tune with your horse.
A heart monitor can help, but doesn't tell the whole story.

The main advice I can give is the classic "ride your own ride." Don't
fight your horse into a trot just because those around you are trotting,
if he's doing better at a canter. Kahlil spent many miles cantering
while his competitors were trotting, and was still going after they'd
been left behind.

--=20

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net