Re: The extended trot

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
Sun, 05 Jan 1997 17:59:41 GMT

On Sun, 5 Jan 97 14:02:12 +0000, you wrote:

>-- [ From: ROBERT J MORRIS * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

>It is necessary, in order to be competitive, to ride to the capability =
of
>the horse!!! To do this you must continually challenge your partner by
>riding on difficult terrain. To ride on roads, flat ground, prepared =
trails
>and such is doing the TRUE endurance horse a great dis-service. You =
should
>seek out rough terrain, plowed fields, rocky trails, steep hills and =
true
>cross-country routes. In this way, the horse learns how to handle its =
body
>with you in the saddle. Even at a walk the horse is testing its muscles =
and
>senses to the utmost. Work in the ring, no matter at what level, can =
never
>equate to work cross-country in rough country.

I want to second this opinion whole-heartedly. Kahlil's training
included muddy plowed fields, asphalt pavement, and rocky, rutted
trails. I believe that contributed not only to his racing success but
to his 11,475 miles completed over a 17 year career (and he's still
sound today at 23).

Of course, *any* new regimen must be introduced slowly and carefully,
especially these kinds of conditions. But it is important to train and
condition the horse in conditions similar to those he will compete in.
It is not always possible -- I had no mountains near enough to train in,
so I used the plowed fields as a substitute. Deep sand can also serve.

I also believe it is important to train downhill. That means at a trot,
and even a canter. Unless you are never going to trot or canter
downhill on a ride (rather unlikely, I would venture), the horse should
be trained and conditioned to handle this, too.

--=20

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net
Business: http://www.mti.net