Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Re: Nutrition again - gut sounds]]

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Thu, 02 Jan 1997 21:42:34 -0800

I suspect the vets are referring to forage, which for other reasons should make up the
bulk of horse's diet. There are studies that indicate nonstructural carbohydrates
(assuming they are't 'trapped' by structual carbohydrates) are absorbed through the
small intestine. Structural carbohydrates and some nonstructural carbohydrates require
fermentation in the hind gut which is where the long time factors come into play.

"For example, Hintz et al. (1971) reported prececal apparent digestibility values of 71
percent for nonstructual carbohydrates in a high-corn diet and 46 percent for those in a
high alfalfa diet. Glucose derived from from this digestion enters the portal vein and
contributes in a major way to the horse's energy budget." H.F. Hintz, D.E. Hogue, E.F.
Walker, Jr., J.E. Lowe and H.F. Schryver. 1971b. Apparent digestion in various segments
of the digestive tract of ponies fed diets with varying roughage-grain ratios.
J.Anim.Sci. 32:245. As reported in NRC's Nutrient Requirement of Horses (1989).

Please note that corn and particularly alfalfa contain a large amount of structural
carbohydrates - these numbers refer to the non structural components. No time frames
are given but I would assume they would not be all that different than in humans which
derive almost all their energy from the small intestine and very little from activity in
the large intestine. Simpler carbohydrates one would assume would be absorbed quite
quickly.

Bottom line: hay should still be fed for purposes of not screwing up the digestive tract
and because of its lower percentage of structural carbs is probably not going to have a
huge impact on energy while competing. But the addition of simple carbs probably would.
What overall effects it has, I await those of you on the cutting edge.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net