Re: hoof angles

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 22:15:01 -0800

Very interesting. Since all the gaited horses land with their hind foot
(on the same side) first, and since there is no such thing as perfect
timing, I often wondered which foot trotters tended to land first. Are
there any similar studies of pacers? Do they also tend to land hind first?

I am also interested in your position on not necessarily using pastern
angle as your guide to hoof angles. At what point do you start stressing
other leg stuctures by deviating too far from the pastern angles. There
was a study a while back on dead horse legs that indicated higher hoof
angles decreased the stress on the deep digital flexor. That stress was
instead transferred to the suspensory ligament. I may have screwed this
up. I can't find the article.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net