Re: how much rest?

Jessica Tuteur (jessicat@napanet.net)
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 08:33:44 -0800

Tina wrote:

>The thing she mentioned that has just -fascinated- me is this "The average
>rider is in far more danger of overtraining than undertraining their horse"
>
>Now really read that sentence again :->

Several of my riding buddies and I all were severely over conditioning our
horses. 25 mile rides the weekend befdore the ride, 10-12 3 days a week,
etc. Now I ride a couple times a week, dressage lesson and then a nice trail
ride :-). Once in shape I can leave my mare off for 3 weeks between rides
and she still does well (we are not top teners very often).

>She was also very big on rest tho I can't remember what rule of thumb she
>used. Now, this is not to negate LSD for newer horses - her reference was
>to already fit horses during a competition season.

I think if I remeber correctly she said 1 fifty a month was plenty. I
usually go every 2 weeks but have not yet attempted back to back, though I
see many horse that will go every weekend throughout the summer????

Just my $.02

:-) Jessica

JESSICA TUTEUR
J BAR M RANCH
NAPA VALLEY, CA
(707) 258-1937

TO LIVE IS TO RIDE AND TO RIDE IS TO LIVE!

Check out HORSE BUMS @: www.inpetho.net/sofort-billiger/html/int/horsebums.html