Re: how much rest?

Truman Prevatt (truman.prevatt@netsrq.com)
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 14:31:19 -0400

>At 2:18 PM 11/21/96, DreamWeaver wrote:
> Does anybody have a general idea of what a good rest
>>period would be for the average endurance horse completing an average 50,
>>100, or multiday ride?

Depends on what you mean by rest. First my horses are turned out except at
meal time - so them can move around. My general routine is if I do a 50 on
Saturday and everything is okay I will do some light riding on Wednesday
(about 3 miles at walk and light trot) to loosen up the muscles and in
general get out the cobwebs. Then a light workout on Saturday or Sunday
and back to training on Wednesday. For a 100 I usually wait two weeks
before resuming training.

While rest is absolutely necessary I don't think complete rest is necessary
or even good - asuming no injuries that need to heal. What does a runner
do after a hard race. The next day he is out jogging to get the muscles
loose again.

Truman

Truman Prevatt
Sarasota, FL