Re: HRM - Belt Model

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 12:02:06 -0500 (EST)

Stacy,

You wrote:
> I purchase the kind with the belt. I have found that when the wrist
> watch doesn't seem to be reading the HR, and I know that the the
> electrodes are wet - I stop, get off, hold the watch next to the
> electrodes. It seems to then magically turn on - and it stays on
> all day!

This can occur because you're receiver is getting an inconsistent
signal (because of the design of the belt type monitor). The
inconsistent signal may be from too much movement under the
electrodes, electrodes too close together, the horse's hair is too
long, or a connection is not tight or it is dirty. When the signal
is inconsistent for a period of time, the receiver will have no
reading. If this continues for too long, it will eventually turn
itself off.

Touching the receiver to the electrodes will restart the receiver &
it will sometimes be able to reorient on the signal, <especially> if
you have stopped & gotten off to do it. To me, getting off to reset
the receiver would waste a lot of time. I am using a VMax where my
monitor's transmitter is on a strap on my pommel within easy reach!
If I pay attention to how the leads are gathered and secured when I
tack up, I don't have these problems with inconsistent readings.

After trying both styles, I really believe that the VMax monitor works
better under more conditions than the Easy Care product. In
addition, I prefer to change the batteries myself for $3 rather than
$40+ to "recycle" the transmitter when it's non-replaceable batteries
go dead. I carry and sell Roger's VMax HRM because they work so well
and because Roger stands behind the monitor both in technical service
as well as for warrantee claims! I have yet to have an unsatisfied customer!!

Linda Flemmer
ABF Challenger ("Rocket") & Eternal Point ("Major")
Blue Wolf Ranch Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"