Speed of gaits

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 11:04:47 -0500 (EST)

Kat,
You wrote:
> Does anybody (besides those of you riding gated horses) have a horse that
> regularly walks 5-6 mph, under saddle?

Rocket's best gait is his walk. He truely walks out at 5-5.5 mph.
His working trot is 12 mph, and extended "road trot" a bit faster.
(Hard to clock as he will maintain it for porlonged distances) His
hand gallop tend to be about 22 mph.

Major walks slower - 4-4.5 mph. His trot is one speed, though - all
out! He TROTS at 20 mph+, and gallops at about 24 mph. His gaits
are so smooth that you don't realize how fast he is really going.
Since my husband generally rides this horse, I get to eat a lot of
dust!

Linda Flemmer
ABF Challenger ("Rocket") & Eternal Point ("Major")
Blue Wolf Ranch Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"