Re: Unidentified subject!

Alice Steinke (alicest@hcc-uky.campus.mci.net)
Sat, 02 Nov 1996 10:53:38 -0600

I would start with a large loose ring, french link snaffle. This will have
less of the cracker jack effect than does a regular snaffle. I would start
by longing your horse in side reins to teach him to move forward into the
bit pressure. Set your side reins where he is comfortable if his nose is
just behind the verticle to start. When you ride, use your legs to push him
up to the bit. This is most easily done trotting. To start with you want
him long and low with his nose a little out--don't let horse overcurl in the
beginning. If he's a skygazer try to stablize one rein and work the other
gently. One rein must remain stable or he'll have nothing to come to. For
dressage specifically there are a number of books. Any by Reiner Klimke are
good. COMMON SENSE DRESSAGE by Sally O'Connor is good. Also might check
out Jessica Jahiel's RIDING FOR THE REST OF US which is a whole horse
approach to adult riding. If you have a barns and noble or other large
store, they will have a bunch of good books. A couple more titles are
Centered Riding and Jane Savoie's book (can't remember the name) Good luck
and if you want to talk dressage email me any time.

alice
=============================
At 12:02 AM 11/2/96 GMT, you wrote:
>Hi all -
>
>My horse is 10 years old. We started CTR's when he was 4, and mostly did
>"correct" trail conditioning, competing in a few CTR's per year, and one
>endurance ride in the last 2 years. Through all of this, we've been working in
>an english hackamore. For those of you not familiar with it, it's got short
>shanks, a very soft noseband, and I use a chain curbstrap. We can do direct
>and indirect reining, and something like neck reining (I don't know if its
>techically neck reining - I was trained english). He will go just as well in a
>halter with reins.
>
>Here's my question - I'd like to do more dressage, and I know I need the
>refined aid of a series of bits. He has carried a bit, but is pretty ignorant
>of what he's supposed to do with it. Mostly he responds to my weight shifts
>and legs, I think. Can anyone direct me to books or articles on training a
>horse to the bit? What is a good beginning bit? I have ridden and driven
>other horses wearing bits, but they were already trained or at least started on
>a snaffle. My hands are decent; the few dressage tests I've ridden have given
>me good feedback about that.
>
>Thanks
>Rosalie & Shogun (Carry what? in my mouth??)

Alice and Shawn Steinke and Willie (for BP)in
Kentucky (Also Lacie, the honorary dachs, Sandy
the cocker and Turbo{get the Kittie}
Kittie, Willie's personal secretary)
Stand aside you other candidates.
GET A NEW LEASH ON LIFE--WIN WITH ROMMEL AND WILLIE
Chester and Hannah, the wonderful warmbloods