re:cooling out hair

Alice Steinke (alicest@hcc-uky.campus.mci.net)
Sat, 02 Nov 1996 10:53:43 -0600

I never thought about the dander being a problem. But do you blanket when
they're up and turned out? I've heard the all the built up stuff is what
keeps them warm. Aren't you taking away some of their insulation.

alice
====================================
At 10:50 PM 11/1/96 +0000, you wrote:
>Teddy's post about two coolers works, but she also mentioned baths.
>What keeps a long haired horse so wet so long is the dander that
>builds up in the hair. A clean horse will cool out amazingly fast.
>In Vermont, where it may not get above freezing for months, I bathe
>my horses! I pick a sunny, not windy, day. I use warm water and
>work quickly. Then, I saddle up and go for a nice ride. The horse
>warms up and drys right out and I have a clean horse for quite a
>while. With snow on the ground, they do not get a chance to grind in
>dirt. This even works on my pony, who resembles a sheep about
>January. Once bathed, she stays quite white and I sleigh ride and
>ski jorn with her all winter with no problems.
>John and Sue Greenall
>greenall@vermontel.com

Alice and Shawn Steinke and Willie (for BP)in
Kentucky (Also Lacie, the honorary dachs, Sandy
the cocker and Turbo{get the Kittie}
Kittie, Willie's personal secretary)
Stand aside you other candidates.
GET A NEW LEASH ON LIFE--WIN WITH ROMMEL AND WILLIE
Chester and Hannah, the wonderful warmbloods