Re: clipping

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 14:01:10 -0500 (EST)

Alice,

You wrote:
> I've been pondering this subject myself. I know that some folks swear by
> clipping. I'm not one of them. I only blanket if it gets really cold
> suddenly or there's no shelter or I think it might sleet and they have to be
> out. I have always found a direct proportion between the amount of time I
> rideand the heat of the horse when I'm done. If it's cold, my horse probably
> issn't hot.

I've ridden a horse when it is in the 20's & 30's (F) out at an endurance
pace - the horse <will> get hot and sweated. A longer coat will stay
damp longer, allowing the horse to chill. (It's also a lot more work
when grooming out.) I agree with you - I prefer not to blanket
unless it's needed. On the other hand, if I'm going to ride at
competitive speeds after the coat has come in, I REALLY need to clip!

The need for clipping does factor in to whether we want to compete in
the late fall. I wouldn't wish the job of clipping on to my worst
enemy! All those itchy little hairs! Worse yet - getting a trace
clip to look even... a few of those have turned into body clips!

Linda Flemmer
ABF Challenger ("Rocket") & Eternal Point ("Major")
Blue Wolf Ranch Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"

RReceived: (from majordom@localhost) by fsr.com (8.7.5/8.7.3) id KAA02719; Thu, 31 Oct 1996 10:52:45 -0800 (PST)