Re: In the real world....(up & down hills)

Allen Xrealname Linda Eisele (linda@ghostridr.reno.nv.us)
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 11:22:10 -0800 (PST)

At 12:37 PM 10/30/96 -0600, Tina Hicks wrote:
>okay guys...I've gotten several responses to my post and everyone says they
>walk up and either walk down or jog down on foot.
>
>However, in the real world I have found this not always so easy to do. I
>have been almost fanatical about taking it easy up and walking down
>anything that even resembles a hill as I bring Tony back. Then I go to a
>ride and am the 5th horse in a string of about 9 going down a single-track
>trail (_nowhere_ to pull over) and the whole group is merrily trotting down
>a hill - not a big one and not a fast trot but not what I have been doing
>on my own. Theoretically, I would pull up and walk down as that's how I
>train. But, now, this would cause those behind me to go my pace with no way
>around for quite
Tina, I hear you, been almost run over by faster riders when trying to
control my horse in hand going down a steep grade. My horse is teribly
unbalnced going down a hill and on the forehand (getting better though) so I
want to minimize the stress to the legs. Another horse that carries as much
weight as possdible shifted rearward would not sustain as much stress as my
clutz would and I think if one were to make a practice hauling down steep
hills is where you might see breakdown of front legs. If a steep downhill
is coming up ahead of time I try to get behind the slowest person.But to be
truthful, you won't catch me hauling down a steep hill as I'm too much of a
chicken. If not for my horse's legs..my neck. Had a horse fall and do a
belly to the air flip and land on me. Nop! not me! Linda
Here's lookin back atya.......()()
Linda Eisele & Sareei and ('')\
hubby, Allen and the General (* *)\\_______~~~~~~
linda@ghostridr.reno.nv.us ( )