Re: In the real world....(up & down hills)

Tommy Crockett (tomydore@goblin.punk.net)
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 12:32:47 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Tina Hicks wrote:

> okay guys...I've gotten several responses to my post and everyone says they
> walk up and either walk down or jog down on foot.
>
> However, in the real world I have found this not always so easy to do. I
> have been almost fanatical about taking it easy up and walking down

Being a past endurance rider and trainer of, at least, one endurance
horse we do things a bit differently. Rebel never sees a hill he doesn't
want to run up. Why? Because we've trained literally thousands of miles
trotting up hiils. Of course, in a race you want to assualt the hills
gently, save the horse and make up time going downhill. Generally I get
off and run with Rebel as fast as I can. I can't do that in training
miles though. In training you don't want to run down the hills, nothing
worse then an injury in training and running down hills is a good way to
do that.

Tommy Crockett <tomydore@goblin.punk.net>
Los Osos, California 93402-2715
"it won't matter what you're saying when
the damage has all been done"
Mary Chapin Carpenter