Re: In the real world....(up & down hills)

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 14:24:12 -0500 (EST)

Tina,

You wrote:
> okay guys...I've gotten several responses to my post and everyone says they
> walk up and either walk down or jog down on foot.
SNIP
> Are all of you as adamant about walking up and walking/jogging down even at
> a ride in a situation like this - or am I just the only one to admit it?

If you walk (or dismount & walk/jog) downhill, you waste a great deal
of time, IMHO. I do not push the horse for big trots down steep hills, but I
would definitely be part of the group doing a nice working trot down
a moderate hill while mounted. (I do tail up steep, long hills,
though.) My experience has been that the horse does well like this
over the years. Sam (my old gelding) was in the sport for 12 years.
Major has been in it for nearly 10. No breakdown in front from
moderate trotting downhill. (And you've SEEN our hills at the OD).

I'm a firm believer in riding as I train - in a situation where I am
caught with no option but "join the crowd", I would do so for the
least amount of time possible, then return to MY style of riding.

Hope this helps.

Linda Flemmer
ABF Challenger ("Rocket") & Eternal Point ("Major")
Blue Wolf Ranch Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"