Re: Riding Rained On Horse Harmful To Horse???

Joe Long (jflong@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 19 Oct 1996 05:29:39 GMT

On Sat, 19 Oct 96 03:45:23 +0000, you wrote:

>Today at work a few coworkers got into a discussion about whether it
>would be harmful to ride the horse who's been out in the rain and has
>a wet back. One person said it would sore the horse's back; don't do it.
>The other said he'd just brush him off to get rid of excess moisture and
>go riding as usual. It got me wondering about long distance riders who
>*must* end up out in the rain at some rides..... so does putting saddle
>and pad on a wet horse cause any problems or rubbing or anything? I =
can't
>say as I've ever ridden a horse that STARTED OUT wet.

Endurance riders do it all the time. Even on clear days, we pour water
on the horse at the vet checks (on hot & humid rides). Besides, most of
the time the horse's back will soon get wet from his own sweat. If you
have good, well-fitting tack, saddling a wet horse will not cause him
any harm at all.

--=20

Joe Long
jflong@worldnet.att.net