ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Saddle Rides Forward

Re: [endurance] Saddle Rides Forward

Tommy Crockett (tomydore@goblin.punk.net)
Fri, 5 Jul 1996 12:59:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 5 Jul 1996, Bonnie Snodgrass wrote:

> Anyway, after starting to trot on the line I see the girth slip
> forward to just behind the elbows and the saddle follows it forward.
> Will a crupper stop this? Will I have to adjust it pretty snugly to
> one before. Do you need to pad a crupper if you use it daily?

Hello Bonnie,

Re: crupper

I use one religiously. However, I'm afraid it sounds to me that the saddle
doesn't fit your horse properly. I do recall seeing the main distributor
of the Sport Saddle either in this group or on rec-eq. Perhaps they can
help you with fitting questions far better then I. My experience with them
is minimual as I think I'm a bit too large for one.

If the saddle doesn't fit your horse I'm afraid no ammount of padding,
adjusting etc will fix it. Still if it is fitting the horse's back then a
breastcollar and crupper might be the answer for you. As I said I use one
on every ride and in every fitness training session as well. I think
you'll find with most horses, if the device is properly affixed you won't
need to as any sheepskin to the unit. Rebel has never shown much sign of
wear and tear. I'm assuming you're riding an Arab, hoding his tail as
they will. He may have some evidence of callouses should one really look,
but I've never noticed them. The reason I do like to use the crupper and
breastcollar is that he's given to girth galls and this way I can ride
him in a very loose girth. Keeps him from irritating the former problem
area. Keeps the rider aware of riding in a correct posture. Something
easy to forget over a period of 4-5 hours.

Hope this helped some.

***Tommy Crockett, Los Osos, Ca.***
tomydore@goblin.punk.net#bitnet dams028@academic.calpoly.edu
"and I'll tell you how it all went down out with the trucker and the kickers
and the cowboy angels and a good saloon in every single town"
G.P. "The Return of the Grievous Angel"