ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] sportsaddle question - fixed!

Re: [endurance] sportsaddle question - fixed!

jsnyder@td2cad.intel.com
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 14:14:26 -0700

>HorseWorks@aol.com wrote:
>Carrie, who rides in a Sports Saddle, asked:

>like to ride with a looser girth, but with a 16hh horse that doesn't stand
>next to fences/rocks...>>>
>
>Who was it that ran and leaped over their horse's rump and inot the saddle???
> Roy Rogers or Gene Autry?? Of course, at 40 miles into a 50 or 90 miles
>into a 100, not many of us have that kind of energy! So, a lesson in
>mounting properly.
[snip--I grab mane, also]

Roy, for sure, tho' Gene may have done also.

My girth isn't loose when I mount, but inevitably loosens by at least a
full notch by the time I settle into the saddle and walk a few steps.
I then have to reach down and tighten it a bit (and it usually loosens up
even more after awhile). (BTW this is Sports Saddle with a neoprene girth.)

Taught my mare to stand for mounting blocks by leading her up to them and
feeding carrots and whispering sweet nothings to her. A few sessions of
this, gradually increasing time and how high I stood on the block, got her
past that worry. Now we mount from almost anything--picnic tables, trucks,
rocks, high side of trail, the hood of my Z-car, back of semi trailer flatbed.
She had seemed bothered not only by the unfamiliar object, but by my wanting
to be higher than her while BESIDE her. Possibly predator position? We solved
this the first few weeks I had her. She's only 15hh but I'm fat and sometimes
clumsy, especially when tired. :-)

-Sallijan
and Picardia, who learns fast when motivated by carrots

Sallijan Snyder | ==> I am not a speaker-for-Intel.
Santa Clara, California |
(408)765-9068 wrk (408)629-5909 hm | "Sometimes you'll find a heap of
Internet: jsnyder@td2cad.intel.com | thread on a mighty small spool."
or sallijan@ix.netcom.com |
*Internet Z-Car Club Member #42* | --Savvy Sayin's