ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Re: saddle?

Re: [endurance] Re: saddle?

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Fri, 21 Jun 1996 20:22:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 21 Jun 1996, Joyce Kellenberger wrote:

> Hi Raina: With regard to my Orthoflex saddle . . . not only do I still love this
> saddle, but all three of my horses love it as well. This saddle fits all three
> very different body types, incredible!

Not only do I not have one saddle that fits three horses, I have three
saddles to fit one horse. I find that as the season progresses, my
horses condition and body shape change. I have three saddles (which I
also use on other horses) with varying tree widths which I use as
necessary and have them restuffed to adjust other aspects of fit. THey
are Crosby and Stubben hunt/jump saddles. And despite the fact that I
have three to your one, I bet I paid less for my three than anybody did
for just one Orthoflex.

Is it really possible to fit a single tree on so many different body
types, or do you just adjust the padding to compensate?

Additionally, I am confused as to why I might want a saddle with no
tree (or a flexible tree for that matter), my understanding is that the
whole point of a tree is to provide some rigidity to the saddle and
therefore more evenly distribute the weight of the rider across the
horse's back. Otherwise I would just ride in a "bareback" pad. I have
always been quite happy with a well made wooden tree. The wood provides
plenty enough flexibility for me.

Am I misunderstanding something?

kat
Orange County, Calif.