ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] re: saddles?

[endurance] re: saddles?

Sullys Maze (Sully@forsythe.stanford.edu)
Fri, 21 Jun 96 23:23:27 PDT

[41223] FRI 06/21/96 20:39 FROM katswig@deltanet.com "K S Swigart": Re:
[endurance] Re: saddle?; 56 LINES

On Fri, 21 Jun 1996, Joyce Kellenberger wrote:

> Hi Raina: With regard to my Orthoflex saddle . . . not only do I still love this
> saddle, but all three of my horses love it as well. This saddle fits all three
> very different body types, incredible!

Not only do I not have one saddle that fits three horses, I have three
saddles to fit one horse. I find that as the season progresses, my
horses condition and body shape change. I have three saddles (which I
also use on other horses) with varying tree widths which I use as
necessary and have them restuffed to adjust other aspects of fit. THey
are Crosby and Stubben hunt/jump saddles. And despite the fact that I
have three to your one, I bet I paid less for my three than anybody did
for just one Orthoflex.

Is it really possible to fit a single tree on so many different body
types, or do you just adjust the padding to compensate?

Additionally, I am confused as to why I might want a saddle with no
tree (or a flexible tree for that matter), my understanding is that the
whole point of a tree is to provide some rigidity to the saddle and
therefore more evenly distribute the weight of the rider across the
horse's back. Otherwise I would just ride in a "bareback" pad. I have
always been quite happy with a well made wooden tree. The wood provides
plenty enough flexibility for me.

-Boy, hope Genie Stewart Spears jumps in here. Here are my two
cents worth regarding a "treeless" or flexible tree saddle.
A saddle tree can only distribute weight well, first of all, if
it contacts the back evenly, does not bridge, tree edges hit
shoulders, etc. Then, even if the saddle seems to fit when the
horse is standing perfectly still, what happens when the riders
weight is added? And what happens when the horse drops his head and
his back changes shape? Then the tree will not fit. And, what
happens when the horse is going up and down hills? Is the back
changing shape? What happens if the horse is slightly uneven?
How do you get the tree to fit? Start adding gobs of padding?

-If you ride bareback, or in something like a Sport Saddle, you
can literally FEEL the back change shape, the ribs expand when the
horse breathes. With the Sport Saddle, it is much more than just
a bareback pad. Not only do you have have a flexible body of
the saddle, but there is a pommel piece and cantle piece, that
are connected by the rigging for both the cinch and stirrups.
Quite a bit of the riders weight is supported by the rigging,
the rest sitting on the saddle. Again, hope GSS can explain
this better than I.

-In my experience, my one saddle fits 3 horses, from a 12.2 hand
Welsh pony, to a 15.2 Arab/cross, and a very round Arab. We
come back from rides with no dry spots, and no sore backs.
It's also easier to stay in balance with the horse. With a con-
ventional saddle, you have padding under the tree, and padding over
the seat of the tree, putting you high off the back of the horse.
With the Sport Saddle you are much closer to the back.

Am I misunderstanding something?

-Well, I was skeptical, until I tried the saddle. I had gone
through several english saddles that really appeared to fit, but
were causing problems. Possibly because the weight bearing area
isn't large enough on a conventional english sadddle. My
disclailmer is that obviously, they work for some people. I
personally have had no problems with the Sport saddle after riding
in it for about 2 years.

-I would say if you are happy with your wooden trees and not having
any problems that is great. I am not sure I understand how a
wooden tree would have any flexibility. The Sport saddle is
entirely different than an Orthoflex (which has a rigid tree with
underlying flexible panels.) Also, the cost of the Sport Saddle
is nothing compared to Orthoflex. And is comparable, if not less
than your Stubben!

-This does raise very interesing questions, and may affect thinking
about saddle construction and how to make them fit better. I think
endurance riding has really forced saddle fit to become a priority,
and many new styles and trees being developed.

-To me, I understand the "theory" behind using a rigid tree to
distribute weight. However, it does not make sense that it will
evenly contact a living, moving animal, or that putting this solid
tree between the horse and rider will be comfortable for either one.

-I would be interested in any comments on this subject.

-Karen

kat
Orange County, Calif.

To: ENDURANCE@MOSCOW.COM